ZHAO Research Group:
Water/Wastewater treatment and water quality monitoring are important components of all urban and rural infrastructures, which include both municipal and industrial sectors. Population growth, climate change, and environmental quality deterioration create enormous pressures on infrastructure system regarding both water quality and quantity.
Dr. Zhao’s research program investigates fundamental and practical principles that can be applied to design, operation and maintenance of water/wastewater, solid waste and other infrastructures to be high-performing, cost-effective, resource-efficient and environment-friendly.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, December 2012
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, July 2007
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, July 2005
- Assistant Professor (tenure track), North Carolina A&T University, Greensboro NC, 2018-now
- Assistant Professor (tenure track), Lamar University, Beaumont TX, 2015-2018
- Company advisor/ Senior Process Engineer, Entex Technology Inc., 2015-2018
- Associate Research Scientist, District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority-Columbia University in the City of New York, 2014- 2015
- R&D Process Engineer, Veolia Water Solution and Technology, 2012- 2014
- Texas AWWA technical research paper award (as advisor), Houston, TX, 2017
- AAUW Fellowship (as advisor), Beaumont TX, 2016-2017
- Virginia Water Environment Association (VWEA) Sonny Roden Scholarship, Hampton, VA, 2010
- Champion in the Design competition in the Sixth Annual VA AWWA Student Water Challenge, Richmond VA, 2009
- “Guanghua” Scholarship, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, 2006
- Placed No. 1 in graduate entrance exam of municipal engineering dept., Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, 2005
- “Renmin” Scholarship, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, 2004
May 2019: Dr. Zhao won the 2019 Summer Research Seed Funding Program by NC A&T DORED to develop PFAS fate and transport, and treatment techniques.
February 2019: US EPA promulgated PFAS action plan: https://www.epa.gov/pfas
February 2019: Dr. Zhao won a grant from Waste Management to continue landfill leachate research.
August 2018: Both Harsh Patel and Sailee Gawande successfully defended their MS thesis, great congrats~
April 2018: Sailee Gawande won second place in research presentation competition at University Forum of Texas Water 2018 conference, great congrats~
December 2017: Alfred Wadee passed his MS defense, he is going to work for HDR consulting in Raleigh NC from Jan. 2018, great congrats~
November 2017: Alfred Wadee won SE TX AWWA local scholarship, congrats~
September 2017: Hurricane Harvey swung by Beaumont TX and caused flooding and water outage, samples collection and testing are going on, link.
August 2017: Synthia Mallick passed MS defense, great congrats!!! She will go to Marquette University for PhD.
June 2017: Arun is going to work as a process engineer for Ovivo Water in Austin, congrats~
May 2017: Synthia gets a paper accepted by WEFTEC 2017, congrats!
May 2017: Alfred is doing a summer intern with MWH/Stantec consulting in Houston, congrats~
April 2017: Harsh gets a paper presented at TX Water 2017 in Austin, great job!
Jan 2017: Alfred won TX AWWA/WEAT student technical paper award, great job!
Apr 2016: Synthia won AAUW fellowship, congrats!
Mar 2016: Elevated temperature landfill issue caught operators' concern, link.
Feb 2016: Zhao served as session moderator at GWMS 2016
Jan 2016: VT Water Researchers to the Rescue in Flint Michigan, proud of you guys!